Automotive > Powertrain, Body, Chassis & Safety Blog

Partnering With Mitsubishi Would Boost PSA from the 8th Largest Automotive ECU Customer to….the 8th Largest Automotive ECU Customer

by Ian Riches | Dec 04, 2009

There has been much recent speculation about a potential tie-up between PSA and Mitsubishi, with the two OEMs confirming that they are indeed discussing what has been described as a “strategic partnership”. Strategy Analytics data shows that PSA is currently the 8th largest OEM group customer for automotive ECUs.  It is responsible for an estimated 4.8% global ECU dollar demand.  The much smaller Mitsubishi is down in 15th place, with an estimated 1.5% share.  The combined PSA/Mitsubishi share of 6.3%, however, would fail to overtake 7th placed Hyundai-Kia, which is responsible for an estimated 7% of the global automotive ECU spend. Therein lies a bit of a problem for PSA.  Mitsubishi’s EV technology is attractive, and some would say essential, for PSA to remain competitive with domestic rival Renault.  However, in almost all other areas Mitsubishi is a relatively niche player, and its overall benefit to PSA is far from clear.

Previous Post: TRW Establishes New ADAS Engineering Center | Next Post: New Camera Developments Expanding Demand In Automotive

Let's talk

Now you know a little about us, get in touch and tell us what your business problem is.
Inquiry / Message:

please enter captcha from left